Staying up-to-date on economic trends is essential in a job search. An occupation you may be interested in could be declining in growth, while another job might be popping up at companies everywhere.
Pulling data from national employment resources, CareerBuilder's Supply & Demand Portal has compiled a sample of occupations for which job listings have increased more than 30 percent since this time last year. "The world's dependency on technology, the pervasiveness of social media and the need to drive sales and expand into new markets are all driving double-digit growth across a variety of fields," says Matt Ferguson, CEO of CareerBuilder.
Here are 10 occupations that have experienced more than 30 percent growth in job listings since last year.
1. Software engineer*: Software engineers and developers are the creative minds behind computer programs. Some develop the applications that allow people to do specific tasks on a computer or other device. Others develop the underlying systems that run the devices or control networks. With the proliferation of smart devices and the Internet, and the race to get innovations to market first, tech-savvy workers are in high demand.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 74 percent
2. Customer-service representative: Customer-service representatives interact with customers on behalf of an organization. They provide information about products and services and respond to customer complaints. Some also take orders and process returns. Companies continue to invest in strengthening customer loyalty and extending sales opportunities across industries.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 50 percent
3. Social-media manager: A position that didn't exist in many companies five years ago, social-media managers are being added to employee rosters as companies tap into the power of Facebook, Twitter and other venues to increase visibility, market their products and manage brand perceptions.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 48 percent
4. Truck driver: Heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers transport goods from one location to another. Most tractor-trailer drivers are long-haul drivers and operate with a capacity of at least 26,001 pounds per gross vehicle weight. They deliver goods over intercity routes, sometimes spanning several states. An uptick in manufacturing activity and the demand for goods and services are keeping the roads busy.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 45 percent
5. Pharmacy technician: Pharmacy technicians help licensed pharmacists dispense prescription medication. An aging population and a sharp increase in the number of Americans with access to medical care are driving demand across health-related professions.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 43 percent
6. Training and development manager: Training and development managers plan, direct and coordinate programs to enhance the knowledge and skills of an organization's employees. They also oversee a staff of training and development specialists. Despite a tough job market, one-third of employers currently have positions for which they can't find qualified candidates, and half of all employers reported they have plans to hire and train workers who have no experience in their industries. They need training managers to help fill the gaps for high-skill positions and get employees up to speed.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 41 percent
7. Financial analyst: Financial analysts provide guidance to businesses and individuals making investment decisions. They assess the performance of stocks, bonds and other types of investments. Still recovering from one of the deepest recessions felt across the globe, companies need individuals who can provide guidance on market trends and investment decisions.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 39 percent
8. Video editor: Film and video editors and camera operators record images that entertain or inform an audience. Editors construct the final productions from many different images that camera operators capture. Forty-eight hours of video are uploaded on YouTube every minute. Companies continue to invest in ways to take their messages and initiatives viral. Video has become integral in the way that organizations share news externally and internally.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 36 percent
9. Sales representative: Sales representatives sell goods for wholesalers or manufacturers to businesses, government agencies and other organizations. They contact customers, explain product features, answer any questions that their customers may have and negotiate prices.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 35 percent
10. Chef/cook: Chefs and cooks oversee the daily food preparation at restaurants or other places where food is served. They direct kitchen staff and handle any food-related concerns. Restaurant and food-service jobs are increasing as the economy improves and households have more flexibility in spending.
Increase in year-over-year job listings: 34 percent